Skip to main content

7 Quick Takes {July}

 
  
The numbers below correspond to the numbers in the upper left corner of each photo.

1.  I had the pleasure of spending a few hours with my dear friend at Panera for coffee talk.  Their new soup - Lemon Chicken Orzo - has had me daydreaming of either going back soon or better yet, trying to replicate the recipe at home. 

2.  Knee-high by the 4th of July?  This corn field in Pennsylvania was more like shoulder high.  Nothing says summer to me like wide-open spaces loaded with corn crops.  Can't wait for the sweet corn on the cob my son ZJ loves so much.

3.  My iPhone.  When I sat down for coffee with my friend I said (with a twinkle in my eye), "I have a new baby."  She looked shocked until I revealed my new phone.  In full disclosure, I used to scoff at the idea of having a "smart phone" but I am a complete convert to the club.  It. is. simply. amazing.  By the end of lunch she was determined to get one too!
 Here are my favorite apps by far:


HomeRoutines  - List-lovers take note.  If you have struggled to find a way to organize the daily/weekly/monthly home care routines this is the app for you.   

Dragon Dictation -  Record yourself speaking and send as an email or text.  Brilliant and easy!

Camera+ -  Takes photos rapidly and then allows you to edit them like a pro.

ABCWildlife -  This toddler-tuned app was a life-saver while waiting in long lines while sight-seeing this summer.  My three year old can fully operate it himself.  (I even resorted to using it in church last weekend until he accidentally turned the volume back on treating all around us to the  Beach Boys singing Surfin Safari!  Oops!)  It has wonderful photos of animals and links to child-safe videos from you-tube of those animals in action.  KC's favorites are Parakeet and Polar Bear.

YouVersion Bible -   Choose any translation of the Bible you like and then select a program for reading through the Bible.  Everyday you will receive a short verse and message related to the topic of your choice.  Right now I am reading through the parenting topic.  It even has an audio option so you can listen to the verses being read aloud while you drive.


  
4. The eldest and youngest "brudders" sharing a a delicious summer drink on our vacation. 

5.  One of the best feelings in the world is a completely cleaned out, wiped down and re-organized fridge.  You should try it!  Total mental clarity at dinnertime.


6.  Remember Big League Chew?  We found it in the dollar spot at Target.  So soft and great for blowing the kind of bubbles that pop and stick to your nose.

7.  Have I mentioned I hired two new cleaning laddies?  No - that was not a typo.  I am referring to my nine and eight year old sons who work for free!  They are officially taking over some of the big time chores I hate have trouble getting around to doing each week like vacuuming and mopping.  This is the best thing that has happened to me in a looooonnnnggggg time.  Not only have the chores been getting done more regularly but the kids are taking more care in picking up after themselves throughout the week.  Plus I have found out that the more they are expected to do regularly - the less they complain each time around.  Since I am hosting Bunco tonight I'd better go make sure those cleaning laddies are on task!



Happily sharing my 7 Quick Takes Here 

Comments

  1. MY fridge is newly clean too WWWWWWHHHHEEEEEE! (can you tell I am happy- it was so awful, I didn't even want to open it)

    Thank God for baby steps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking fridge! My idea of a clean fridge is one with food in it! I grocery shopping. I managed to go today with the 3 boys, despite my cold. Go me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos of life in your world...wish I could be there to be converted to the iphone :) and have that yummy soup. I will look forward to your rendition of the recipe. H2U!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my smart phone too! I have a droid. I was able to find an app with the daily office! :)

    Love the idea of free cleaning ladies...or young men!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

~Grace and peace to you~

Popular posts from this blog

Locally Grown {stuffed green peppers recipe}

  Last weekend we took the whole family to a nearby produce stand.  We were craving something that tasted fresh from the garden and since I don't have my own garden, we found this place.     The fields were full of fall-colored flowered.  Can't wait for those cooler days to come.         But for now, we are reveling in the height of summer sunshine and produce.       It's easy to go overboard here and buy much more than you can use in the next few days.  I don't even like okra but they look so inviting in those cute blue crates.     These tomatoes inspired a caprese salad for lunch: tomato slices cut into quarters, hunks of fresh mozzarella, snipped basil leaves, salt, pepper and drizzles of olive oil and red wine vinegar.       These strawberries wound up being dunked in Silky Chocolate Fondue .       Every girl dreams of doing her shopping with one of these adorable woven baskets, doesn't she?       Even the boys had fun playing in the sand while I took m

Savoring Summer {Staying in the Season}

The desk full of binders, calendars, sports schedules and dreamy ideas is where I currently find myself, while my mind continues to stray back to the mountains and clouds of our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota. We have been home for a week and I decided in future, I must come home better mentally prepared for the onslaught of emails and to-do items that pile up when we go away for two whole weeks. The fact that school resumes one week from today only intensifies the pressure to get it all done right away. Usually at this point in August I am eager for cooler, less humid days hinting at the beauty of spicy Autumn flavors. Not this year. I am so invigorated by my return to normal movement following the long recovery from knee surgery that I don't want these summery days to end. At least not until they officially end on September 23, 2014. This year feels like a do-over, the last one so consumed by injury, pain and slow, slow, slow recovery. My mind is bursti

Petals :: 52 Photos Project

Where I live the Bradford Pears have bloomed and blown and the Cherry Blossoms are in full blossom.  Even though that means our allergy season is now officially underway, I cannot help opening our windows every morning in hopes of hearing the birds singing to greet the day.  Springtime has conveniently coincided with my personal recovery process from knee surgery.  As I am slowly re-gaining mobility on crutches it seems an added encouragement that the weather is also improving and the trees are welcoming my return with their flowers. What a treat it would be to be able to put down my crutches in time for Easter Sunday and walk again on my own! (I am doubtful but one can hope.) Sharing with 52 Photos Project :: Petals